Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Tidalforce iO Stepthrough from parts

After lacing the motor into the Alexrim wheel, I thought I'd just continue and finish up installing the motor into a Tidalforce frame and completing the bike! Presenting a newly assembled Tidalforce iO Step-through from various leftover and new parts. I plan on taking this to the office and getting some rides in during the day. The rear tire is a new Sunlite 26"x2.4" Schwalbe Big Apple clone. That's the Schwalbe Big Apple on the front wheel for comparison. You can see that the Sunlite does not have the nice reflective ring painted on the wheel. I eventually replaced the disc front wheel with a cheap rim brake wheel that I picked off a neighborhood kids bike that was about to be thrown away.



Rear triangle

Console with stylish keys

Rear triangle before the Cycle Analyst goes on

Folding pedals and double kick stand

The label from the new tire

After the Cycle Analyst goes on and the cheap wheel goes up front

Rear triangle with Cycle Analyst

Close up of the Cycle Analyst Standalone shunt in place

Cycle Analyst V2.23 mounted on bike handlebar

Wire cluster behind the Cycle Analyst

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Laced a Tidalforce motor into a new Alexrims DM18 rim

I had about an hour and I laced my old rusty Tidalforce standard motor into a new AlexRims DM18 rim. I used my cheap custom made Klein Rapi-Driver spoke nipple tool. It was amazingly easy with the Park Tools truing stand. I do need to make a larger base for the Park Tools stand since it's not designed for such heavy wheels!

I bought the motor from a gentleman who bought the whole Tidalforce iO Stepthrough with a dead battery and decided to just toss the motor and battery and control cables. I'm happy to have it, even though it needs a bit of TLC (paint and derusting).

What was really shocking is that with the Klein nipple tool, tightening the individual spoke nipples provided an automatic torque control, essentially. Whenever I got to where the spoke was coming through the nipple enough for it to be fully seated, the spoke would force the nipple tool to unseat from the slot so that it would stop tightening. I only had to tweak two spokes afterwards to true the wheel. Brilliant!

I definitely need to derust the torque arm before too long!

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Don't do an Alec Baldwin, err, I mean, Salmoning in traffic!

Here's a very informative article on new urban bicycling terms useful for when you ride your bike to work on the 16th of May!